What are Macro Plans?Jan 19, 2019
Let’s shed some light on what a “Macro-Based Nutrition Plan” is exactly.
Macronutrients are protein, carbs, and fats in our foods that all have a specific and important job in our body.
- Proteins are the building blocks for gaining lean muscle. This is a huge help for achieving that “toned” look everyone seems to desire.
- Carbohydrates are essential for energy, fueling all of our activities, and lowering our stress response.
- Fats are essential for hormone and metabolic health.
Depending on our goals, it is important to have the right proportions of these macronutrients throughout the day.
Macronutrient based plans are commonly called “flexible dieting” or “if it fits your macros.” It is an approach to nutrition coaching that I absolutely LOVE. Macro plans took me from having a fearful and confused relationship with food to a healthy and fearless relationship with food. One where I stopped feeling controlled by food and I started feeling IN CONTROL! The beauty of this type of plan is that you are able to CHOOSE what foods you would like to eat each day; as long as you are staying within your macronutrient goals.
In a Macro based plan:
- NO foods are off limits (unless you have a food intolerance)
- We emphasize that WHOLE unprocessed foods make up 80-90% of our diet
- You are allotted a food “budget” for carbs, proteins, and fats and you make choices on how you are going to “spend” it … got a fun dinner coming up? Save more macros for dinner! Want to grab brunch with your girlfriends? Do it, then have a lighter supper!
- There are no “magic foods” that are going to make you skinny
- No set number of meals you need to eat in a day
- There is no cut off time for when you can eat (yes, you CAN eat carbs after 7 pm ?)
- You can enjoy the foods you love .. you don’t have to eat chicken and asparagus every day; you don’t have to stop having chocolate?
- It is a SUSTAINABLE approach to nutrition which you can do for as long as you want/need
This type of plan teaches you what is in various foods, what portion sizes look like, and what an appropriate portion size for YOU and your goals looks like. You are being EDUCATED while on a nutrition plan. This teaches you the tools you will need to carry on once you have reached your goals! Typically there is so much confusion going on when you follow a templated meal plan or a blanket 1200 calorie “diet” because you don’t know what to do with yourself when the “diet” is over!
The BEST part of this type of plan is that it eliminates all the noise! There is SO much garbage out there claiming that X, Y, Z is going to be the next magic bullet … REMEMBER, eating the appropriate quantity of real whole foods is where the magic truly is!
Subscribe to Fitme emails!
Get blog posts, helpful tips and inspirational emails.
We hate SPAM. We will never spam you and you can always unsubscribe at any point!